There is no shortage of companies asking small businesses to shell out hundreds if not thousands of dollars to promote themselves. But if you’re like most small business owners, you could really use some free tools to jumpstart your marketing. That’s why we’ve begun a weekly blog series featuring free tools for SMB owners to help you with your various marketing needs.
Visuals have become an essential part of social media and content marketing. In the past year, platforms that experienced the most growth were visual ones- for example, Pinterest, Instagram, and Vine. In fact, Pinterest generated more referral traffic for businesses than Google+, Youtube, and LinkedIn combined.
Images also convey messages in a more powerful way than text, improving the quality of your written content. So this week, we’re highlighting Skitch, a free online app that allows you to capture and annotate screenshots along with other basic photo editing capabilities.
Skitch At a Glance
Skitch has an easy-to-use interface with unique editing and annotating functions for images or other digital assets like PDFs. It also makes it easy for you to capture and seamlessly import screenshots directly into the app.
You also can:
- Mark up images with shapes, arrows, and callout boxes
- Draw smooth lines and scribbles to annotate and explain images
- Highlight and draw attention to what you want the view to focus on
- Insert text
- Pixelate (blur out) confidential information
- Resize or crop images
- Reposition and delete your shapes, drawings, highlights, and text at any time
It’s a powerful tool to have for your marketing toolbox, especially if you’re writing a tutorial or product review, or need to draw your reader’s focus visually. Skitch makes it easy to communicate and make a point through images.
Using Skitch for Marketing
Whether you’re creating eBooks, whitepapers, tutorials, slideshow presentations, or images for blog posts, Skitch is a fast way to illustrate a point that might be harder to communicate through words or for emphasizing your point through graphics. Its unique screen capture function is makes it a great tool for illustrating tutorials or product reviews. There are many other creative ways you can incorporate Skitch into your content generation efforts:
- Take a screenshot of a map of your business’s location and annotate entrances, exits, or parking information for attendees if you’re hosting an event.
- Create step-by-step guides to showcase your industry expertise.
- Upload pictures onto the app and use its editing capabilities to point out proper posture/technique for your karate or yoga students.
- Share comments on contacts or design drafts with your clients.
- Annotate, markup, or highlight images for blogging to quickly communicate your points.
- Take a picture of our coworkers or clients, and add fun facts about them to share on social media.
- Blur out personal or confidential information in images before uploading them online.
How to Download Skitch
Try out “Skitch” for yourself here. The free download is available for mobile devices (Androids, iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touch), PCs, and Macs.
Looking for more free online marketing tools to help you with your marketing? Subscribe to our blog to receive email updates or download our free guide,“45 Free Marketing Tools to Promote Your Business” to find more tools to help you research, create, and publish your marketing content.