What was the first thing you did this morning after you woke up?
Brushed your teeth? Turned on SportsCenter? Ate some nice, fiber-filled cereal?
I checked email on my phone.
Surprised? Well, according to a 2013 study, 49% of mobile users read emails on their smartphones immediately when they wake up.
That’s half of everyone with a smartphone firing up their inboxes, first thing in the morning before they even set foot out of bed.
As a business owner and marketer, you want into those bedrooms.
By following some essential steps for mobile email marketing, you can!
Write Killer Headlines to Get Your Email Opened
- Write a subject line that is 5 – 7 words long, no more, no less
- Provide value, be specific, be compelling, and create urgency
- Play on buyer personas and psychological triggers
Be Clear, Succinct, and Consistent in Your Message
- Focus on your readers’ needs, wants, and feelings
- Create a “value exchange” where you provide great content for your readers’ (limited) time
- Assuage any fears directly. Give readers confidence in you as an authority with an easy-to-read message
- Be persuasive. Everyone from Aristotle to Obama knows the importance of effective persuasion. Convince your readers that they should act, in a subtle yet direct way
Organize for Maximum Readabilty on Mobile Devices
- Make your email look spectacular on mobile – easy to read and full of “alt-tagged” images and hyperlinks with plenty of space around them for easy clickability
- Divide the layout of your email into short sections for clearer navigation
- Send a plain text version of your email to include readers with less sophisticated technology
Get Personal with Your Emails
- Use your readers’ interests to learn who your readers are
- Establish authority as a likeable expert through niche-specific, high-quality content
- Use autoresponders to create a universal experience from your first subscriber to your last
- Ask your readers to “whitelist” you to keep your emails out of their spam folder
- Test, analyze, change, and resend
Include a Discount or Special Offer for Subscribing
- According to Copyblogger, more than 70% of mobile purchasing decisions are influenced by promotional emails!
- It creates an exclusive community of readers (and consumers) by offering something only subscribers can have, allowing them to benefit in ways that others can’t
- 50% of users say they subscribe to email specifically because of special offers they receive
So why wait? Reach customers from the comfort of their morning routine; take advantage of digital marketing’s powerful tool, (mobile) email marketing.