• Get Readers & Keep Them: How to Write Great Business Blogs

How to Write Great Business Blogs

Writing blog posts for your business requires a lot of time and resources, so you want to make sure that you’re seeing the most impact from one you publish. Getting potential customers to click on your posts and then read all the way to the end can be a challenge. We’ve got five tips for writing great blog content for your business to help keep the click rates up and bounce rates down.

Related: Business Blogging 101 (free eBook)

How to Write Great Business Blogs

5 Tips for Writing Great Business Blogs

1 | Choose Interesting Topics

Content marketing isn’t about being overtly promotional. If your blogs come off as an advertisement, readers are more likely to bounce early. Nobody wants to feel like they’re being sold to.

A good general rule of thumb is to produce 75% fun, engaging, entertaining, informational content that will appeal to a very wide audience. This way you can capture readers through social media or SEO who may not have heard of your company or brand before. The other 25%, more promotional content, should have a different distribution strategy altogether—like sharing through email newsletters.

2 | Spend Time on the Title

Writing a blog post can be time-consuming, so it’s easy to finish the post and then spend very little thought on the title. Big mistake. Don’t throw a title on a blog post just so you can get it out there in a timely manner. Make sure you budget time to think of a great title.

Internet users spend over 450 minutes consuming media every day (source: , which makes it imperative to come up with interesting, clickable titles to cut through the clutter. Keep your titles short and quippy so they’re easy to understand when someone is quickly skimming a newsfeed. Think about attention-grabbing titles that will stand out, keeping in mind your brand’s voice. Also be sure that your title is truly accurate to the content in the blog. If the reader doesn’t get what they expected when they click through to the blog, they’ll bounce.

For more info on bounce rate, check out What Bounce Rate is and Why You Should Care. 

3 | Break It Up

A great big block of text can be overwhelming for a reader’s eyes and make them more likely to bounce early. Break up your content into sections (like we’ve done here) to make the content a little easier to digest and easier to skim. Make sure each header is short, clear, and bolded. Sometimes readers will want to skim down to the section that’s most relevant to them.

Pro tip: Top lists and countdowns have become ubiquitous in the blogging the world—readers love them! For more post ideas, check out 11 Blog Post Ideas to Boost Traffic.

4 | Use Great Images

Another thing that can keep a reader engaged all the way to the end of your blog article? High-quality, relevant images. Great images provide another way for more visual learners to digest the information as they scroll through.

We recommend at least one image as a header for the blog, plus several throughout, to break up the text. This will also be important for sharing on social media so that an image auto-populates when you share the blog. Posts with photos get 84% more clicks on Facebook.

Pro tip: If you don’t have the resources to create your own photos or graphics for a blog, you can use free photo websites like Pixabay and Creative Commons. Just make sure you’re using photos that are copyright and royalty free. For more on proper stock photo use, check out How to Use Stock Photos for Your Business.

5 | End with a CTA

The purpose of creating all this interesting, non-promotional content is not just to spend all your time entertaining random strangers. You want to gain readers’ trust by showing them that you care about the kind of information they want to read. Then, if they make it all the way to the end of the article, they’re more likely to consider learning more about your company and eventually becoming your customer.

Your goal here is to engage potential customers with interesting content, then encourage them to engage one step further with a call to action. This “one step further” can take many forms. Do you want to send them to another, similar blog post, to continue engaging and building trust with them? Do you want them to go to another page on your site so they can learn more about how the product or service you offer? Do you want them to follow you on Facebook to keep up with future content like this? Or provide their email address to join your email newsletter?

The best next step for your readers to take at the end of your blog posts will depend on the content they just read and the structure of your marketing funnel. The idea is to reel in your potential customer without being too much, too soon (and scaring them away), and most importantly, to give them something they want.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *