If you’re like most business owners, you’re looking for ways to improve awareness and get your business recognized in your local market. Facebook is an effective way of getting the word out about your business. But like the tree that falls in the empty forest, having a business Facebook page is only as good as the number of people who see it.
We know it can be difficult to get Facebook business page likes and to increase the organic reach of your Facebook posts. Here are some ways to promote your business’s Facebook page for free so that you can reach a broader audience on Facebook.
1. Build a base audience of friends and family
Once you get your Facebook page up and running, the next thing you need to do is to invite friends and family to “Like” the page. Inviting friends and family to like your page is advantageous because it sets you off with a digital footprint on Facebook and it provides you with a valuable test audience.
Use your initial audience to:
- See what types of posts attract the most engagement – do people engage more with photos/videos or insider tips?
- Crowd source ideas and suggestions for your business – ask people what they want to know and see
- Generate word of mouth marketing through your networks – ask people to share and invite others to like your page
2. Offer promotions and Facebook contests
Another way to promote your Facebook page is to offer something of value in the form of an offer or Facebook contest or giveaway. The more interesting the incentive or deal, the more likely it is to generate “shares” and “likes”.
Promotional offers and Facebook contests include:
- Offering customer discounts for “shares” and “likes”
- Host a name drawing for products or services your business – keep a record of new followers and pick a winner
- Host an event that your fans would want to share and bring friends to – get the word out about a new product, a cooking demonstration, or a tasting event
3. Provide interesting and helpful content
Social media pages for for being social. Chances are that you’re not going to make $1 million selling products on Facebook but Facebook isn’t about selling; it’s about connecting with your audience. Facebook page promotion is best done by connecting with your audience through interesting, useful, relevant, and helpful content.
Relevant content includes:
- Timely tips and tricks – decorating ideas or pictures for upcoming holidays, seasonal industry information
- News and events – provide information about upcoming industry events or business events
- Interviews – interview a customer or important person in your niche and post a video
- Behind the scenes – show behind the scenes video or pictures of your business or events
4. Share promotional updates
One way to get information out about your business while promoting products and services is to keep customers up to date on popular products and services. Share news of new products, services, extended store hours, and sales and promotions on your Facebook page. If you know that a particular customer was interested in a product that was out of stock, take a picture of it when it comes in and tag the customer to let them know!
5. Share customer feedback
Customers are the lifeblood of your business so share their thoughts with others. Use customer feedback as a way to engage other customers or open a dialogue. Tag customers in their feedback so increase the visibility of the Facebook post. If you don’t have any customer feedback, get some! Customer reviews are very important for small businesses. Check out our blog post on how to generate positive online reviews.
6. Interact with other businesses and influencers
Extend your network on Facebook by liking and interacting with the Facebook pages of other businesses or influencers in your industry/niche. Link other businesses or influencers to your posts for cross-promotional marketing. If you link or share the updates from other businesses or influencers, they will be more likely to link to or share yours.
You should also follow local news media and people with a large influence – people who have lots of followers. Try to use the same conversation starting tactics to gain access to their audience. If you’re not already connected, learn more about connecting with to influencers in your industry.
7. Engage with individuals
A great way to get more likes and followers to your business’s Facebook page is to interact and increase engagement with those who follow you or comment on your posts. If an individual comments on your post, thank them and follow up with a question related to the comment. Facebook’s algorithm shows your interaction with individual users on the newsfeeds of users who follow your page as well as the individual’s Facebook feed.
Another way of engaging with individuals is to tag people in pictures or Facebook updates. Tagging not only alerts the individual to the fact that they were mentioned in the post, but it also shows up on others’ newsfeeds.
Here are some ideas on how to tag users on Facebook:
- Tag customers in pictures or screen shots of positive reviews – thank customers for their great reviews
- Write about employees to give a behind the scenes – tag employees and encourage them to share the post
- Post your customer’s pictures of your product – share customer pictures, tagging and thanking them for the post
Have you found any creative ways to promote your Facebook page for free? Let us know in the comments below.