The categories you choose in Google are critical to ensuring the right customers are finding your business in Google Search and Maps. You may have the opportunity to select more than one category to show up in more searches.
How to Add Categories on Google My Business
Why categories are important
- Google uses categories to match your business to searches performed by consumers. More categories increase your chances of being included in search results. However, it’s important to only choose additional categories if these accurately describe your business.
- The primary category you choose should be the one that best describes your business, be as specific as possible. This ensures that your business can be included in both specific and broad searches. For example, when you choose the category “Indian Restaurant” your business can be included in searches for “Indian Restaurant” and “Restaurant”.
- The categories you select also determine some of the additional features that Google makes available in the listing, especially attributes. Attributes can further help you get more exposure when these get matched to consumer searches.
For more help with Google My Business, head to our GMB Knowledge Center with free help and how-to articles.
How to choose categories in Google My Business
- Log into your Google My Business account
- Choose Info
- Edit the category information that it listed under the business name
- Select an accurate primary category, and add any additional categories that apply
- Click Apply
Google may review the edits. It can take up to 3 days before the changes are published to your listing.